Thursday 17 March 2011

Mixed Media - Sound Colour and Weight

Ok so for this project I was working in a group. We had to pick a piece of music and animate it in an abstract way with mixed media. We decided to make our own piece of music, this way we were tailoring it to our own needs. Once made we split it up into sections and each person was given a section to animate. 
I started off by listening to the piece of music and making marks with paint and pen on paper. These are 2 that I came up with...

This is my first one. The red pen is the guitar, the little green dots are the bottle with rice in it , the light blue lines are the clicking and the silver blobbed paint (which you can't see very well) is the popping ..or rather the sound of a horse

This is my second, I prefer this one to the first. It has the same sort of  idea to it...light blue squiggly pen lines are the guitar, the little red dots are the rice shaker, the silver blobs of paint are the clicks and the bold blue paint blobs are the horse sound

From doing this I had a better feel for what was going on in the music and the rhythm but I still didn't know how I would animate it...how I would make these abstract things move. So I did another experiment. I got a piece of plastic, stuck it to my scanner and painted on it.

I then put it together and made a little video out of it, this is what I got...


Obviously it doesn't go to the music but I got a feel for movement and by doing this I decided that I wasn't going to use this technique. 

The next thing I did was analyse the music using a dope sheet, I marked where each different sound appeared and disappeared.


No comments:

Post a Comment