Wednesday 13 October 2010

Observational Drawing for Design: Story Ideas

I felt that I should start the project by making a story, of course it needs to be a realistic one to be able to do observational drawings, here goes.....

I think I'll try and think of something that relates to me first, maybe one of those stories that Nan used to tell me when little...no that wouldn't be possible to do. I would need an orchard and I don't know where one is, I would need an actual house to draw from and I don't have one of those...oh and a horse and some fairies.....hmmm. Ok maybe not!
Something realistic... I miss driving. Maybe something to do with a car...and man and his car go everywhere together, the shops, cinema, football stadiums. The man loves his car so much that he washes it alot...it's always really clean and sparkling! then one day he goes to the garage to have an MOT but his car fails...and the man is very sad, very sad indeed! There's nothing he can do to make it better! His car has to go to the scrapyard.

What would I need to be able to do this story...a footbal stadium (not a problem), shops (got plenty of those), garage (I'm sure I can find one), a car....I haven't got, that will be a problem.
Another problem that I have worked out is that I would need more than nine shots to be able to show the story clearly. Maybe try and thing of another story, a simpler one....

...A ha! I've got it...."The Journey of a..." I could do a story on a journey of an object, something that travels and is passed around alot. I got this idea from two of the required shots... CU of hand holding an object and another CU of something being exchanged. It's very simple but that way I can develop or play with it which ever way I wish!I just need to decide what the object will be..the first thing that comes to mind is a coin. It is an object that is very commonly moving from place to place and person to person. If I can't think of anything else that would be relavant I will go with it. 

So this  is what my storyboard sequence will be...

1) ES- An extreme closeup of the object
2) LS - Drawing of a location with the object in it
3) MLS - Person entering a doorway, spots the object on the floor
4) CU - Object being held b a hand (picking up object)
5) LS - Another location with the person who picked the object up in it
6) Extra - Person standing opposite shop keeper near a till
7) CU - Person exchanges the object with shop keeper
8) MS - Face of happy shop keeper
9) Final Closing shot- yet to be determined

No comments:

Post a Comment