Monday 2 May 2011

BAF Friday 12th November 2010P


After having the late night previously I was shattered the next morning but this didn't dampen my excitement for another day of BAF 2010! 

Up first was..



Channel 4's Clare Kitson - A Caring Eye

'Channel 4 was set up, in 1981, by an Act of Parliament which incorporated a very special set of instructions. The programming was to be innovative, challenging and appealing to the audience hitherto not well served by television. While many programmes were entertaining, entertainment was never the prime motive. Issues, big and small were tackled by all departments, animation being no exception.'

Whilst some of this was very interesting and intriguing the rest was quite dull and not very interesting at all and after a while I turned off. What I got from this was that animation can be used for more than entertainment and can be used to put across a message quite powerfully in a way that people are made to think. 





Paul Mendoza from Pixar!

'Paul has been in the animation business for thirteen years. He was influenced by Miyazaki's early films as well as the early disney films, to pursue animation as a career. Paul studied at Academy of Art University in San Francisco, and was subsequently hired by Pixar in 1997 where he has worked on nine films, including The Incredibles and Ratatouille, and was an animation lead on Cars. He is currently working in pre-production on Pixar's 2012 release, Brave.
Paul will talk about how he came to work at Pixar, his experiences at the multi award winning animation studio and look in detail at the production pipeline. He will also talk specifically about his work on Up and then open up for questions from the audience.' 








Gary Jackson from ScaryCat Studio

'ScaryCat Studio celebrates its 10th Anniversary this year and Gary Jackson joins us for a model making seminar, looking at various stages of the process from production, through to rigging and post-production considerations.'

From this talk I found out that model making wouldn't be something I would go into. Although I found it very interesting and informative I was just a little bit to complex for me to understand it all! And apparently he didn't go into detail!! After a while of not understanding the technical side I switched off, although I did find the transitions from character design/ drawings through to the real physical model very interesting. From this I learnt that there are many things that need to be considered when making a model for a stop motion animation!





Goodbye Mr Christie

'Dir. Phill Mulloy, UK, 2010, 78 minutes. 
The Christie's live in Wellington Green, a picturesque English village with a church, a pond and a cricket pitch. Outwardly  Mr Christie is a perfect gentleman. Inwardly he is a selfish arrogant monster. When the whole world sees him on television having sex with a French sailor, his life is changed forever. Prepared to be shocked. This film will take you from the leafy garden suburbs to hell and beyond.' 

Wow! I didn't so that coming! When it says be prepared to be shocked I didn't think I would be that shocked! This film is like no other that I have seen before. Its really silly and crazy, not something I would opt to see if I had the chance. I would see it again but only to make sure that I did see what I did and that I wasn't dreaming. It had people in the cinema laughing....whether it was a nervous/shocked laugh of if was a genuine funny laugh I don't know. The style didn't take my fancy but it definitely suited the story. 
What an end to the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment