Monday 2 May 2011

BAF Saturday 13th November 2010


And so the last day of BAF arrived! I was a little said that it was over but relieved as I knew that the next day I would be able to catch up with my sleep with a long lay in. 
First up was...



Ray Harryhausen

'Ray Harryhausen, who celebrated his 90th birthday in June, made his name by developing fantastic animated creatures based on legends and classical mythology. He created a unique body of stop-motion puppet animation seamlessly with live action cinematography through his innovative technique of Dynamation. His films captivated generations of audiences and his methods inspired present-day film-makers such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Peter Jackson and Nick Park.'



Clare Kitson - The Documentary Way

'Animated documentaries go back a long wa, through early examples tended to have a propaganda bias (viz Windsor McCay's Sinking of the Lusitania). John and Faith Hubley were perhaps the first to use authentic recorded dialogue, in their films documenting the fantasies of children at play. In this country, BBC Bristol commissioned the Animated Conversations (1979), which included two films by Peter Lord and David Sproxton, using that same techniques. When Channel 4 was set up, its first Chief Executive was inspired by these, and commissioned a whole series from Aardman (including On Probation), intended to grace the Channel's first week on air (but in event marking its first anniversary).'

After seeing Clare Kitson - A Caring Eye I was dreading this one. Again this showed me that animations can be serious and put across strong messages as well as being entertaining but this didn't entertain me at all and I found it very uninteresting and so I found my mind wondering away from it. This was the most boring thing I had seen in BAF.


The Illusionist

'Fed up with performing to two old ladies in a dusty old theatre, a Parisian magician take the chance to travel to Edinburgh to try his luck there. On the way he make unlikely friendships, and picks up a companion who believes that his magic is the real thing. This gorgeous, old fashioned and almost wordless animation is fine family entertainment, a love letter both to Edinburgh and to film itself. It's perhaps proof that some elements of cinema are timeless.'

This film was excellent! Was beautifully made and very well done. The story was very clear and easy to understand although there were hardly any words said in it! It's style reminded me of the old Disney films and took me right back into my childhood which was lovely! I would love to create or be a part of a team that creates a piece of animation so beautifully like this one day. It certainly was a breath of fresh air from all of the computer CGI animations in the film industry  at the moment.




Secret of Kells

'Over 1000 years ago, in a remote part of Ireland, 12 year old apprentice monk Brendan is living quietly within the fortified Kells Abbey. He should be hard at work defending the fort, but is more interested in working on a beautiful illuminated holy book written in magically glowing ink. This luscious animation is perfect for the under nines.'

Whilst watching this film I was transported to another world...or so that's what it felt like! I got completely lost in this film and it is absolutely beautiful! I could watch this film over and over again. 



BAF Awards

And then finally we had the Award ceremony where the awards where given out and presented. 

Overall I really enjoyed BAF, I learnt a lot and gained a lot of knowledge on animation and it's industry. It was a big eye opening and I found it very informative and a lot of fun! It was well worth the lack of sleep and money, and I look forward to it next year too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment