Monday 2 May 2011

BAF Thursday 11th November 2010


Having had an excellent day the day before I was really looking forward to this one...


Professional 2

Love & Theft
Dir. Andreas Hykade / Germany / 2010 / 7 mins

' "And I'm still carrying the gift you gave, its a part of me now, it's been cherished and saved, it'll be with me unto the grave. And then unto eternity" (Bob Dylan)'
This animation was amazing!! It was of many different faces and characters changing and transforming into a different face/character. It had a selection of different music and plenty of life to go with it! The style was very clean and simple which suited it perfectly! It took me away and I got lost in it! This is something that I would love to try and do.

Zero
Dir. Christopher Kezelos / Australia / 2009 / 12 mins 32 secs

'In a world that judges people by their number, Zero faces constant prejudice and persecution. He walks a lonely path until a chance encounter changes his life forever: he meets a female zero. Together they  prove that through determination, courage , and love, nothing can be truly something.'
This was a nice animation, had a really good message to it and it portrayed emotion really well. I love the style of it and I enjoyed watching it.


The Cow Who Wanted to be a Hamburger
Dir. Bill Plympton / USA / 2010 / 5 mins 50 secs

'A children's fable about the power of advertising, the meaning of life, and ultimately the test of a mothers love.'
I wasn't very keen on this one for a couple of reasons. To start with I didn't like the style/ aesthetics of the animation there was something that wasn't very appealing about it, it may have been it's harshness and secondly I didn't like the sounds used for the cows...this was also very harsh especially in a cinema with loud speakers, it all made me feel very uncomfortable. If that's what it's aim was then it worked! The story was ok but wasn't exactly gripping. Not something I would watch again or use for inspiration.


The Thomas Beale Cipher
Dir. Andrew S Allen / USA / 2010 / 10 min 10 secs

'Professor White, cryptographer extraordinaire, is on the trail of the notoriously uncrackable Thomas Beale cipher - a century-old riddle hiding the location of a fortune in gold that has tormented its pursuers since inception. But White is not alone - shadowy faces are tight on his tail.'
I absolutely loved the style of this animation, I felt that it was very visually exciting however the story didn't grip me and I was bored within 2 minutes. 



The Little Boy and the Beast
Dir Johannes Weiland / Germany / 2009 / 7 mins

'When your mother has turned into a beast, a lot of things change ...'
This animation was great! Heart warming, funny and a little sad at times. I loved the style and the story was really good, quite strong I felt. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and I would definitely watch it again!


The Bellows March
Dir. Eric Dyer / USA / 2009 / 5 mins

'Crowds of concertians live out a cycle of destroy-create-destroy. The film is a contemplation of the destructive and expressive potential of humans, and observes these extremes as an eternal cycle. Dyers 3D printed, hand painted, spinning cinetropes are sculptures that come to vibrant life when seen through a video camera shutter.'
This is a great animation, showing just how complex and abstract an animation can be. I loved the concept and kept me fully entertained , this I felt  is a great example of  large scale movement. 


Teclopolis
Dir Javier Mrad / Argentina / 2009 / 12 mins 10 secs

'Old magazines dance gently in the wind, a super-8 camera crawls over a wooden table while an old caroet flows in and out. A whole civilisation is running towards its inevitable destiny. Plastic waste has reached the point where not even the most distant beaches are safe.'
I loved the style but I got bored by the idea and the story. It was pretty amazing seeing normal everyday objects being animated though!

Journey to Cape Verde
Dir. Jose Miguel Ribeiro / Portugal / 2010 / 17 mins

'This is the story of a sixty day long walk in Cape Verde. No mobile phone, no watch, no plans for what to do next- only the bare essentials in the backpack. Our traveller explores the mountains, the villages, the sea, a talking tortoise, the goats, the music, the dry haze, the people of Cape Verde and an essential part of himself.'
I absolutely loved the style and whole look of this animation and I found it very in keeping with the story. This was a truly beautiful piece to look at, however I did get a little bored as I felt it dragged on for a little too long!




Paul Franklin: Inception Visual Effects

'In early 2009, director Christopher Nolan invited Paul to supervise the visual effects for his new film Inception. Paul was with the production every step of the way from pre-production through to the final delivery. The end result is one of the most intriguing and visually spectacular films to hit cinema screens in 2010.'  

This was amazing and I was glad to be there to see it. Before this I had no idea as to the extent of the amount of work and different processes a film like this would have to go through in order to have such amazing visual effects in it. I learnt a lot from this talk and if ever I do get into this business or kind of work it would be amazing! 




Tim Searle
 Have I Got Some Clips For You:
UK Animation and Why I Love It So


' "I've been involved in UK comedy animation for over 2 years and this is a talk with an assortment of clips. If you're not an animator, I hope by the end of this session, you will have had a not-too-heavy introduction to our world - if you are an animator, I aim to remind you why you bother with it!" ' 

This talk was very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was nice to find out a bit about the UK animation industry as many things we have seen were from other countries. Tim Searle is a very entertaining and funny man and it was great to have him talk to us about himself and his work.





Metropia

Dir.Tariq Saleh / Sweden / 2009 / 80 mins / (15)
'Metropia takes place in a not so distant future. The world is running out of oil and the underground train systems have been connected into a gigantic subway network beneath Europe. Whenever Roger from Stockholm enters this system he hears a stranger's voice in his head. He looks to the mysterious Nina to help him escape the disturbing web of the Metro, but the further they travel, the deeper he's involved in a dark conspiracy.

On the coach in the morning we all had a vote as to stay later and watch this film or not. We had already had quite a long day the day before and an early start to this one with 2 more long days following it.In the end the majority voted to watch it and although a little hesitant at the beginning I was pleased that we did. This film was nothing like I had ever see before and the story was brilliant. I took my eyes a while to adjust to the funny people..their head being bigger than normal in proportion to the rest of their bodies. The style of this animation really set the mood for the film and I thoroughly enjoyed watching every single bit of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment