Thursday 12 May 2011

Smudge 'n' Click Part Two


So I started off by painting the key frames of the animation sequence to scale as it says on the brief. I chose paint to do this even though I may use another media  it will still clearly show me what is happening and where I'm going next with it.  Here they are ...(sorry about the poor images)












And so that is the sequence in paint!
To get the correct sequence for the water droplet falling into water I looked at lots of slow motion videos on youtube and I will keep using them as a reference when animating too. This way it will look as real as possible. 

I quite liked the idea of working with chalk as I could easily rub it, smudge it and manipulate it, and so this is what I did...


I was happy with this overall but there where a couple of things I wasn't too keen on. For example the lines at the bottom when the droplets splashed were meant to be puddles. They didn't look like puddles at all. When I do it again I need to keep the droplets dropping for longer just so that the audience can gauge it a bit better. The beginning of the droplet falling into the water was good, I was really happy with that but it was let down by the other half, the water that comes back up hangs in the air too long and I felt it was too big. I wasn't too keen on the transition of the blue rising, I tried to make it look like water rising up but it didn't work the way I wanted it to. Next time it needs to be smoother. Another thing that I wasn't too sure about is the speed of the animation, I feel that it all happened too quickly and so next time I will do it so its a little bit slower.

Although I enjoyed using chalk it was very messy and not as easy as I had thought. 

Next I tried paint (the same paint that I used for the key frames)


I liked this one so much that I decided to use it as my final animation. I really enjoyed using this too and found it was easier to go over a colour with a different colour than the chalk. As you can see I took out the puddles at the beginning which I feel makes it look a lot better and is a lot more effective. More droplets fall and for longer, which is also an improvement and the transition to blue is smoother. I managed to make the beginning of the ripple sequence the same and am as equally pleased with this as I was with the chalk one. The end bit still isn't right where the water comes back up but has improved all the same! 

I found that making this animation became quite tedious at points, especially the ripple sequence but it was worth it! Overall I am very pleased with the outcome. If I was to do it again I would experiment with more media and research into other possible sequences that I could have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment