Saturday 22 January 2011

Storyboard For a Commercial or Trailer

8th November 2010

This week we have to chose one option out of a list as to what sort of trailer or commercial we want to do. I have chosen 'Virgin Holidays'. 

'Virgin's new campaign will be based on the theme 'COLOURS OF THE WORLD'. They want to capitalise on the bleak winter season using hot colours on screen to entice people to book now for next summer. This can be abstract, shouldn't include aeroplanes, but must be stylish. Think colourful object from around the world in montage shown graphically.'

I need to -
-Make a storyboard
- Consider the soundtrack and script
- Aim for a professional presentation

My first thought is to possibly us silhouettes and flat colours? 
I picked up some travel/holiday booklets from some holiday shops and have found a number of warm places to go on holiday that I may look up...

The Mediterranean...Italy, Spain, Gibraltar, Corsica, Monaco, Canary Islands, Greece, Turkey
Egypt, India, Asia, Singapore, Mauritius, Maldives, Sri Lanka, Jordan, Eastern Africa, South Africa, Thailand, China, Vietnam, Angkor, Japan, Malaysia, Bali, Cuba, Mexico and Caribbean. 

I then looked at the brochures and picked out a few images that caught my eye...colourful/warm ones.

I researched previous Virgin Holdiays adverts and using the images I found from the brochures and the virgin holidays research I made this sheet...


I have images for examples from previous virgin holidays adverts and I made a mood board from the images I found in the brochures. I also stuck some extra images on the top for some inspiration, I'm thinking of putting in strong striking images of different object from around the world in. 

Looking from this I am definitely going to make something abstract. 
There will be no talking or narration but purely a soundtrack of an upbeat tribal song of some sort to give it that far away foreign feel and to give it an extra bit of culture.

From looking at the adverts it's obvious that red is the main theme due to the colour of virgins logo so I will try and include more red or certainly some striking reds in it to make red stand out so that people know that it is virgin. 

I then made a long strip of photo montage made from more images I found in some brochures.


From making this I decided that these are the images I am going to using and that the advert is going to be the camera moving along this montage but parts of the images are going to seem to dance and move with the soundtrack that I am going to use.

And so this is my final storyboard...














Overall I and really pleased with the whole project and my final outcome. I feel that it is really simple but effective at the same time. The bold images and colours make it stand out and the soundtrack and movement give the whole think life!

No comments:

Post a Comment