Tuesday 22 November 2011

Design For Society: Rethinking It!


Today I spoke to my tutor about my storyboard, and it turns out that it's not quite strong enough. I was going to do it with facts and quite graphically. But she suggested looking at it from a humorous point of point, may then the audience would remember it more. But I saw an animation at Bradford in the commercials screen called 'The Girl Effect' which has given me some inspiration for this project, here it is...


I loved the look, the visual language and the boldness of this, but most importantly the message is put across in a bold and simple but very powerful way! By the end of watching this I had a lump in my throat. This is what I want to make my animatic like (not so that the audience has a lump in their throat, but to make them listen and understand). I would do a humorous one but I'm not too good knowing how to make things humorous, I'm more of an abstract, visual person- this sort of thing excites me! 
So from watching this animation I can see that there is a very limited colour palette, so I'm going to have to have another look at my mood board. I like the idea of having black and white with another colour so I may do black white and green. Especially as when I started to render my storyboard half of it was black, or very dark grey. Another thing with this animation is that there is no narration or voice over, however there is a lot of cleverly laid out and positioned text and it comes up with a couple of words at a time. This way it isn't boring to have to keep reading and is still very visually interesting.  The images of the girls etc isn't life like but more like symbols and simple little images that are clear to read and easy to understand. 

So now that I've thought about this I'm going to do a new quick storyboard with all of this in mind to hopefully make something quite visually exciting and visually powerful! 

The other thing that my tutor said was that it's very well telling people to take the bulbs to their local council but how many people be bothered to have to do that when they have a bin at their feet. So I am going to do some research into where the local council for collecting low energy light bulbs is in Wrexham to see how close it is to me, and to find out how people can find out where these places really are! Then I need to find out when the old light bulbs are going to be completely stopped so that I can add that information into my animatic to prompt people that soon this will be the way of life and that they need to dispose of them properly to prevent the mercury from getting into the environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment