Monday 20 February 2012

Emotional Ties: The Man Who Went Hunting

I was going to have a hunter as I had it in my head that the character in the scary story was a hunter, but I reread it and in fact he isn't a hunter, he is just a man that went out hunter. However he is from long ago and so I am going to look up how gentlemen from 'a long time ago' looked like and dressed. From this also, depending on what era he came from, I need to decided what his weapon will be that he went out hunting with.  

I did a number of searches a long the lines of 'old English gentlemen' and this is what I came up with..




As you can see, there is quite a range of styles and eras and so I feel that I need to research eras and decide which one I am going to base my character on. 

The English periods that I came across were Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans, Tudors, Stuarts, Georgians, Victorians, 19th century to present day. 

I think the majority of these are way too old and too long ago. I think that I will look at Victorians for my man that went out hunting. 



These are the Victorians that I found, I can really imagine the man who went for a hunt looking something like this. It's great too because the photos that I have looked at so far are quite similar to the style that I am going to use being black and white etc, I may use some browns too to soften it and give it a little bit more dimension. 
Next I found some Victorian Hunters or men about to go on a hunt. Unfortunately I could only find 4 images but I feel they give me enough information to work from. 


From this I can see that they like wearing their hats, they generally hunted hares and rabbits and that they used guns....very long guns. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of gun names and so will have to look this one up! 

I discovered that the gun is called a Rifle, and here is two examples.





I feel that I have a fair idea as to how I am going to design the man in the scary story now and shall crack on!



No comments:

Post a Comment