Monday 20 February 2012

Emotional Ties: Scary Story Style

For my animation I'm going to use two different styles, one for around the campfire with the children and the other for the scary story being told. I am going to keep going back and forth throughout the story switching from around the campfire to the story, back to the campfire etc. I feel this will make it more interesting to watch and I will also be able to gauge the children's reactions. So I know, from creating the five characters what sort of style I am going to use for around the campfire but I need to find another style for the story. I have an idea as to what sort of thing I may do, and this comes from one of my influence boards that I did at the end of January. 
I have a couple of animators and their animations in mind that I will use as inspiration and one is Lotte reiniger and her work. Here is an example..





She used detailed silhouette cut outs in her animation which I think give a very striking effect. Used correctly it can also give quite a mysterious feel to it. 

Another bit of inspiration would have to be the animation of the Deathly Hallows in Harry Potter, which was inspired by Lotte Reiniger...


This was made using a CGI program but still give the same sort of lovely effect, and just as mysterious. 

And finally another piece of inspiration would be Richard Mcguires 'Fears of the Dark' animation that I saw in Bradford Animation Festival, 2011.




This gives a lot of mysteriousness to it, and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's not quite the same as the first two but there is that silhouette-ness there. It's very clever use of light, black and white. 
I think I will be going for the more Lotte Reiniger feel to the story as I feel that it would work better as you would need to see the backgrounds to understand the story a bit more. I may have a got at having the backgrounds darker than the character though to see what sort of effect I get with the story being set at night. I am definitely going to be using cut out for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment