Tuesday 17 April 2012

Emotional Ties: Scary Story Image Development


In this post I will be showing the development of the trees in the background and the lodge that the hunter finds. 
For both I started by drawing them in my sketchbook and scanned them into my computer where I edited them digitally..


The Trees





 To render these trees I used a bark texture from photographs. I decided that as the character was a simple silhouette I would give the background a lot of texture and detail to compliment the character. I also made it so that they had no leaves to make it feel stark, cold and wintery to add to the mysterious feel of the scary story.  Overall I am very happy with the trees and feel that they will give a nice dimension to the background. 


The Lodge

This is my initial drawing of the lodge, created from the various reference photos I collected

I then scanned it into my computer and made everything white leaving the outlines ready to render with textures from photographs of wood.

This is the first render I did that I used for the storyboard, however I didn't feel that it was the best that it could be and was a bit rushed.

And so after I had done the storyboard ready to animate I re-rendered the lodge with new textures and created this. Of which I loved. The stone textures that I used for the chimney are the same that I used for the stone wall for the stone wall animation I created for 'The Message' module. I was much happier with this one and so I turned it into grey scale. 

I did prefer it in colour but as the hunter animation is in black and white it wasn't an option for me to have it in colour.  Despite this I still prefer it to the first render. I'm very happy with how the final lodge image came out. 











No comments:

Post a Comment