Friday 21 October 2011

Maya Tutorial

Maya Tutorials

In the last two weeks I've been having tutorials on Maya, the 3D animation programme! I had no idea what to expect when I first started, I had no idea what was involved and how the films like Shrek etc was made... apart from it being made on a computer. 

The first time I had a go on it I tried using the help videos in the programme to learn the basics, even this overwhelmed me (probably because I had no sound and so must of the time didn't know what it was telling me to do!) I got frustrated with it and stopped. 

Then the second time our tutor walked us through the basics step by step, this was much better than the videos...even though I could see what she was doing on the screen and could only hear what she was saying (it's funny how words can be clearer than images and actions, and visa versa sometimes!). So she taught us how to move around the programme and all the basic actions, what the main button were and what they did, how to make a key frame animation and how to save a scene. 

And then on the third tutorial she showed us the basics of nurbs and polygons, how to model using both and how to smooth polygons. We first made a vase with nurbs (Unfortunately I forgot to get an image of this), then a hand with polygons and finally a very basic face/head. This is my hand...



I'm very pleased with this seeing as it was my first time modelling. I look forward to learning more about Maya...as long as it's from my tutor or I have sound on any video tutorials I use!

No comments:

Post a Comment